Do you have a garbage disposal? What foods do you consistently flush down the drain, and which foods do you pitch elsewhere? The Atlanta home inspection crew has created a list of consumables that need to avoid garbage disposal territory. Make sure that the disposal stays clog-free, and that the trap does not become blocked. Even though a plumber could help in this situation, why pay for a service call if you can educate your family ahead of time and avoid the situation if possible.
Here’s that short list of food waste that’s better suited for the garbage :
- Rice and pasta : Small particles can never be completely pulverized, and will swell in the presence of water. This can clog pipes and traps.
- Egg shells : Tiny, granular waste can get “bound” with pipe sludge, creating a thick clog.
- Coffee grounds : Same as for egg shells. As a clog thickens, it’s harder for water to pass through.
- Grease : Liquid fats turn to solid when in contact with cold water. Over time, this creates a clog like plaque on an artery.
- Potato peels : Once ground, peels turn starchy like mashed potatoes. This can clog a drain pipe instantly.
Use your disposal for convenience, not for a trash chute substitute! Just like the old adage, “when in doubt, leave it out,” the same applies with what you choose to toss in your garbage disposal!
Do us a favor if you or someone you know is about to buy that perfect home, please recommend us to them. When you find your dream home, make sure that you get a thorough home inspection in Atlanta, GA from the home inspector Atlanta, GA, David Lelak of IHI Home Inspections, they serve Atlanta and all of North Georgia. Call us today at 404-788-2581 for a thorough home inspection in Atlanta. We won’t let you buy the money pit. You can also schedule your Atlanta home inspection today online. We create Peace of Mind One Atlanta home inspection at a time. Be sure to check out all the other reasons other customers chose IHI Home Inspections at our original website.